Privacy and Security Policies
Learn about Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City (Blue KC) privacy and security policies regarding your Protected Health Information as well as your personal information (address, email, cell phone, etc.).
Notice of Privacy Practices (NOPP)Spanish Version Notice of Privacy Practices
Your Protected Health Information
Blue KC may use and disclose your Protected Health Information (PHI) to carry out payment activities, healthcare operations, and other purposes that are permitted or required by law, and your rights to access and control your PHI.
Blue KC Responsibilities
We are required by law to maintain the privacy of your PHI. In accordance with the HIPAA Privacy Regulations, we have the right to use and disclose your PHI for payment activities and healthcare operations as explained in the Notice of Privacy Practices. We are most likely to use and/or disclose your PHI for these functions.
Additionally, we may use or disclose your PHI as permitted and required by law. For example, we may use or disclose your PHI for public health activities, legal proceedings, or law enforcement purposes.
You have the following rights regarding your PHI:
- You have the right to request that we restrict the PHI we use or disclose about you for payment or healthcare operations. If you believe that a disclosure of all or part of your PHI, beyond what is provided to the policyholder for financial responsibilities, may be detrimental to you, you may request that we communicate with you regarding your information in an alternative manner or at an alternative location. Explanation of Benefits (EOBs) will always be provided to the subscriber.
- Generally, you have the right to inspect or copy your PHI that is contained in a designated record set.
- If you believe that your PHI is incorrect or incomplete, you may request that we amend your information.
- You have a right to an accounting of certain disclosures of your PHI that are for reasons other than treatment, payment or health care operations.
Your Personal Information
We have taken great strides to protect your information online and when you contact us.
BlueKC.com is a safe, secure way to manage your Blue KC health insurance, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. By registering with your member ID card to create a unique username and password, and selecting a "challenge question", you control the access to your online information.
The mobile version of our website uses the same security measures as our main website, so you can be assured your information is protected.
Although our website logs you out when there is no site activity for a certain period of time, it's important that you log off after each time you visit BlueKC.com. In addition, for added security, we recommend closing your browser once you've logged-off of our website.
Email and Text Communication
Blue KC will never share your email address or cell phone with anyone other than approved vendors or partners who are assisting in managing your insurance policy.
When communicating with you via email or text messages, we will never disclose your PHI and we will never ask you for personal information such as account numbers or passwords. The most secure way to provide this information is through the member section of our website, or when speaking with one of our Customer Service representatives.
Emails from Blue KC include several features to help you recognize a legitimate email from a fraudulent one. These features include:
- Blue KC Logo in header of email
- "Interact@BlueKC.com" as the "from" address for all Blue KC communications.
Over the Phone
When you contact the Blue KC Customer Service team by phone, you'll be asked to provide your account information so that we can confirm your identity. This account information includes your member ID number, mailing address, date of birth, along with any specific information required to answer your questions. Our Customer Service representatives have been trained to maintain the confidentiality of your PHI and personal information. If they are unable to verify the caller's identity and right to access the account, they will not provide any information. This is to protect you, and your PHI.
You may complain to us if you believe that we have violated your privacy rights. You may also file a complaint with the Secretary of the US Department of Health and Human Services.
Communicating with Blue KC
Please refer to the following information to inquire about the use of your PHI, to exercise your rights about your PHI, or to register a complaint:
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City
P.O. Box 417012
Kansas City, MO 64141-7012
Phone: 816-395-3784 or Toll-free 800-932-1114