- Individual and Family Plans
- Medicare Plans
- Small Group Plans
- Large Group Plans
Individual and Family Health Plans
2017 Health Plans
Our product suite provides a full range of plan options. Choose the plan (product and network) that best fits your needs and budget, and enjoy the peace of mind that comes from knowing you made the right choice to protect yourself.
Basic is an affordable plan that provides a great option for individuals and families in the Kansas City metro area.
First provides 100% coverage for in-network services after you have paid your deductible. (Only available to residents of Johnson and Wyandotte counties in Kansas)
Saver is a great way to secure an affordable plan for the budget-minded.
Standard is great for those who want to know their coverage up front. Our Standard plans provide predictable coverage with clearly defined copays on the most common services. (Only available to residents of Johnson and Wyandotte counties in Kansas)
SafetyNet is available to individuals under 30 years of age only, or those qualifying for hardship exemptions.
- 2017 Kansas Blue Options
- 2017 Kansas Blue Options (Spanish)
- 2017 Missouri Blue Options
- 2017 Missouri Blue Options (Spanish)
View a complete list of Summary of Benefits and Coverage Documents.
Preferred–Care Blue® offers Blue KC members the largest selection of providers within our 32-county service area. Outside of our 32-county service area, this network allows you to take your healthcare benefits with you-across the country with the BlueCard program. BlueCard gives you access to doctors and hospitals almost everywhere.
A more limited provider network, BlueSelect is available only to residents of the 5-county Kansas City metropolitan area, which includes Clay, Jackson and Platte counties in Missouri, and Johnson and Wyandotte counties in Kansas. The BlueSelect network also includes access to the national BlueCard network outside of our 32-county service area.
BlueSelect offers greater affordability by using a smaller hospital network than Preferred-Care Blue.
BlueSelect for Basic Individual
BlueSelect for Basic Individual is the same 5-county Kansas City metropolitan area network as BlueSelect. However, this network does not include any participating provider network outside of the 5-county Kansas City metropolitan area.
This network offers greater affordability by using a smaller hospital network limited to the Kansas City metropolitan area.
How to Apply
Download the application and mail back to Blue KC.
Important Note: You may be required to provide documentation to provie that you qualify for special enrollment.
Mail your completed application to:
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City
One Pershing Square
Kansas City, MO 64108
Call a Blue KC representative at 816-395-BLUE (2583), or contact your health insurance broker/agent.
Our Utilization Management Team reviews requests for coverage to ensure you are receiving the most appropriate and medically necessary care possible. Additional information about Utilization Management is available on MyBlueKC.com. The responsibilities of this team include:
- Prior Authorizationa review of elective inpatient admissions and selected outpatient procedures conducted by Blue KC along with your physician, prior to the service to ensure you are receiving the most appropriate care. Some categories of drugs also require prior authorization. Please be aware that Blue KC employees are not compensated for conducting reviews based on denials of coverage.
- Concurrent Reviewtakes place during a member's hospital stay and again provides the opportunity for Blue KC to work with your physician in coordination of your care.
- Retrospective Reviewoccurs when the healthcare services you receive may not successfully meet the authorization and concurrent review processes detailed above. If this occurs, Blue KC nursing staff conduct a review retrospectively to ensure that the service meets medical necessity and appropriate standards included in your coverage.