HEALTHY WINTER SOUP
When sweet, silky butternut squash and earthy, nutty parsnips simmer away in a vegetable broth flavored with savory herbs and mild yellow curry … You’ll be bowled over.
MAKES 1 1/2 gallon
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 cup onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 cups parsnip, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, chopped
- 2 teaspoons mild yellow curry, ground
- 1 gallon vegetable stock or water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot on high heat, begin by sautéing the onions in oil for 3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and sauté for 5-8 minutes.
- Add liquid and seasonings. Taste.
- Reduce heat and bring to a simmer, then cover with a lid.
- Allow to simmer for 1-2 hours. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the lid and taste. Add more seasonings if needed.
- Serve in bowls and garnish.
- Avocado, cubed
- Fresh parsley, chopped
This soup is vegan, gluten-free and makes a great post-holiday detox. Have a slow cooker crockpot? If you want to use it, just let the soup simmer all day or overnight.
From the kitchen of Chef Kyle Williams.