Hawaiian for “turn,” Huli Huli chicken is a staple of Hawaii. Prepared initially with chickens on a spit over a fire. Onlookers would shout “HULI!” when it was time to rotate the chickens. This fun and super easy recipe will quickly become a backyard grilling favorite.
Huli Huli Hawaiian Chicken
Yields – 4 servings
- 4 boneless & skinless chicken thighs
- 1-2 cups pineapple, fresh, trimmed & de-cored, cut in large chunks
For the chicken marmalade:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup hoisin
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup soy sauce
- ½ cup honey
- 4 Tbsp pineapple juice
- 2 Tbsp ginger root
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp sesame oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cilantro leaves
- Sesame seeds (black & white mixed)
- Scallions, sliced
- Crispy bacon, chopped
For the Honolulu-style fried rice:
- 5 cups brown rice (cooked day before)
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp ginger
- ½ cup bean sprouts
- ¼ cup celery, sliced
- ¼ cup onion, yellow, diced
- 1 cup bacon, chopped
- ¼ cup carrots, shredded
- ¼ cup bok choy cabbage
- ¼ cup scallions
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2-3 Tbsp mirin
- Salt & pepper to taste
Method of Preparation
Day 1: For Huli Huli sauce
- Mix all ingredients. Season to taste.
- With half of the huli huli sauce, marinade raw chicken overnight in the refrigerator.
- You can also cook the brown rice this day to use for fried rice on day 2.
Day 2: Fried Rice
- Light charcoal grill and allow 30 minutes to pre-heat/prep coals and wood
- Fried rice: Heat sesame oil in a large wok or sauté pan. Add olive oil, bacon, yellow onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add rest of vegetables to the pan and sauté for another 3-5 minutes. Season to taste.
- Chicken: While waiting for vegetables to cook, add chicken to the grill. Season lightly with salt & pepper.
- Add rice to fried rice pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add mirin, soy sauce, 1 Tbsp sesame oil. Season to taste
- Rice should be done at this point. Remove from heat and reserve on the side.
- Add pineapple strips to grill and grill on both sides until hot and lightly charred.
- Chicken should be done around this point. Remove from grill once fully cooked.
- To assemble plate, spoon brown rice on the bottom of the plate, slice chicken and place on top, with the other half of huli huli sauce drizzle on chicken and rice, garnish with pineapple and other optional ingredients from garnish list.
- 1-day old cooked rice is perfect for fried rice.
- For gluten-free, omit hoisin sauce and use gluten free soy sauce.
- For soy free, omit soy sauce and use coco aminos.
Chef Kyle Williams