Black-Eyed Pea Salad Recipe
For the salad:
- 2 cans of black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup of corn: fresh, canned, or thawed from frozen
- ½ cup red onion, ﬁnely diced
- ½ cup of parsley or cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, ripe
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
1. In a separate, small bowl combine balsamic vinegar, fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in olive oil and continue whisking until fully blended and smooth. Set aside.
2. Place black-eyed peas, tomatoes, bell pepper, corn and red onion in a large bowl.
3. Drizzle the salad with dressing.
4. Halve avocado and remove the pit. Dice the avocado flesh while still on the skin.
5. Add diced avocado and parsley. Gently fold in.
Note: May be served immediately or chilled in refrigerator for at least four hours or overnight. Serve as a side or as a main dish.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City’s Blue Medicare Advantage includes both HMO and PPO plans with Medicare contracts. Enrollment in Blue Medicare Advantage depends on contract renewal.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. The HMO products are offered by Blue-Advantage Plus of Kansas City, Inc. and the PPO products are offered by Missouri Valley Life and Health Insurance Company, both independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, and wholly-owned subsidiaries of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City.