Splash Your Way To Better Health This Summer
While ﬁreworks are lighting up the summer sky, our goals to exercise might be ﬁzzling out. But don’t wait until January to start over. It’s important to your health and well- being to stay active year-round. One way to get going again involves water, and lots of it.
The pool provides a low-impact, joint-friendly environment. Swimming is a great way to exercise, and swimmers and non-swimmers alike can participate in water aerobics or aqua therapy. SilverSneakers® can help you get started.
Using the pool to exercise may:
- Reduce arthritis and joint pain. The buoyancy of the water gives you freedom of movement while providing support and helping to relieve pain and stiffness.1
- Improve strength, ﬂexibility, and balance. Studies show that aqua therapy exercise improves lower body strength, power, ﬂexibility, agility, and balance.2 Building strength in the water can help prevent falls on dry land, such as making it easier to recover from a stumble.
- Lower systolic blood pressure (SBP). This is the pressure in your arteries when your heart beats. Exercising in
an aquatic environment is a great alternative for people who have high blood pressure.3 It may help lower SBP which has been shown to signiﬁcantly reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.4
SilverSneakers is a health and ﬁtness beneﬁt designed speciﬁcally for adults 65+, and is included with your Blue Medicare Advantage plan at no additional cost. SilverSneakers is more than a ﬁtness program – it’s a way of life. With SilverSneakers, you get access to:
- memberships to thousands of ﬁtness locations5 (many have pools)
- group exercise classes6 designed for all abilities
- instructors trained in senior ﬁtness
- fun activities held outside the gym
- SilverSneakers On-Demand online workout videos for at- home workouts, available 24/7
- SilverSneakers LIVE full-length classes and workshops (exercise with others, but from the comfort of home)
- SilverSneakers GO mobile app with workout programs, location ﬁnder and more
Discover a health and ﬁtness beneﬁt for adults 65+. Go to SilverSneakers.com/GetStarted to get your SiIverSneakers ID number today.
Always talk with your doctor before starting an exercise program.
1Arthritis Foundation. (n.d.). Hit the Pool to Relieve Joint Pain. Retrieved March 6, 2023, from https://www.arthritis.org/ health-wellness/healthy-living/physical-activity/other-activities/ hit-the-poolncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3820233/
2Kim SB, O’sullivan DM. Effects of Aqua Aerobic Therapy Exercise for Older Adults on Muscular Strength, Agility and Balance to Prevent Falling during Gait. J Phys Ther Sci. Retrieved March 6, 2023, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ pmc/articles/PMC3820233/
3Pereira Neiva H, Brandão Faíl L, Izquierdo M, Marques MC, Marinho DA. The effect of 12 weeks of water-aerobics on health status and physical fitness: An ecological approach. PLoS One. Retrieved March 6, 2023, from https://www.ncbi. nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5978883/
4Bundy JD, Li C, Stuchlik P, Bu X, Kelly TN, Mills KT, He H, Chen J, Whelton PK, He J. Systolic Blood Pressure Reduction and Risk of Cardiovascular Disease and Mortality. JAMA Cardiol. Retrieved March 6, 2023, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ pmc/articles/PMC5710614/
5Participating locations (“PL”) are not owned or operated by Tivity Health, Inc. or its affiliates. Use of PL facilities and amenities are limited to terms and conditions of PL basic membership. Facilities and amenities vary by PL.
6Membership includes SilverSneakers instructor-led group fitness classes. Some locations offer members additional classes. Classes vary by location.
SilverSneakers is a registered trademark of Tivity Health, Inc.
Underwater portrait of senior man aged 75 swimming in the pool. Sunny summer day. Nikon D850
© 2023 Tivity Health, Inc. All rights reserved.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City’s Blue Medicare Advantage includes both HMO and PPO plans with Medicare contracts. Enrollment in Blue Medicare Advantage depends on contract renewal.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. The HMO products are offered by Blue-Advantage Plus of Kansas City, Inc. and the PPO products are offered by Missouri Valley Life and Health Insurance Company, both independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, and wholly-owned subsidiaries of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City.