Blue KC has been meeting mental health head on with our Mindful by Blue KC behavioral health services and sports partnerships. In summer 2021, we broadened our reach to the vulnerable teen community through the Zero Reasons Why (ZRW) teen suicide prevention campaign.
In partnership with Overflow – a strategic story, experience design, and creative production agency – we expanded the impact of ZRW in Kansas City with a focus on activating in school districts within our coverage area.
Here’s how we did it:
This Blue KC and ZRW co-branded website educates and activates teen “Street Team” members who are eager to engage in suicide prevention activities and mental health promotion. Since its launch in late 2021 through October 2022, the website:
- Welcomed nearly 5,000 unique visitors
- Had more than 36,000 page views
- Encouraged teens to share their mental health stories through the website
- Took teen requests for in-school events
- Offered ZRW toolkits, videos, graphics, and social media influencer kits
- Offered free ZRW swag
- Linked teens to help through a Crisis Text Line and National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Facilitated webinar-based workshops
High school educators and school administrators in the Kansas City area participated in webinars to learn about ZRW, its origins and accomplishments, and how they can deploy campaign activities in their districts.
Deployed cross-promotional and storytelling campaigns
- Published dozens of social media posts featuring teen mental health stories and resources, which contributed to thousands of impressions and engagements
- Engaged in cross-promotional activities with the Kansas City Royals and KC Current
- Participated in a Kansas City Business Journal Table of Experts article
Sponsored in-school events
At more than two dozen in-school events, we engaged thousands of teens through the “Banner Days,” “Take it or Leave It,” and “Snapshots of Support” programs. At these events, students talked with event organizers and walked away with more than 7,000 pieces of mental health promotional materials, collateral, and stigma-reducing SWAG.