Here’s a recipe that’s simple, easy and affordable – and made for challenging times. Round up whatever ingredients you have on hand. Pull out your one pot. And let your creative juices flow
ONE POT WONDER
MAKES 1 GALLON
- 4 cups vegetables (for example, carrots, green beans, etc.)
- 4-6 cups dark, leafy greens
- 2 cups root vegetables
- 2 cups grain or legumes
- 1-2 pounds meat, poultry or seafood
- 3 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Salt & ground black pepper to taste
- Herbs and spices to taste
- In large pot, on medium high heat, add oil to pan. Add vegetables. I like to add chopped onions and garlic along with carrot and celery at this step.
- Cook while stirring for 5 minutes. Season to taste.
- Add dark leafy greens, root vegetables, grains and/or legumes. Try a combination of chopped kale, potatoes and canned garbanzo beans.
- Add water.
- Add whatever herbs and spices you like. A mix of dried herbs, ground paprika and dried turmeric is a bold call.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add more liquid if needed.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for 1 hour.
- Season to taste.
- Garnish with bread or crackers.
Creativity is the foundation of this recipe – customize to your heart’s content to meet any dietary needs. Need some protein? Add any meat, poultry, or seafood during step one. Craving comfort? Use Italian sausage, leftover pasta, add some pizza sauce, then garnish with parmesan cheese. For an exotic twist, add coconut milk and curry.
From the kitchen of Chef Kyle Williams.