HOLIDAY SHRIMP PASTA
- 2 ½ pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2-3 pounds pasta, fresh uncooked
- 1 cup pancetta, small cube
- 1 cup yellow onion, peeled & diced small
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, cut in half
- 4 cups spinach
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes, cut in thin strips
- 1 cup artichoke hearts, halved
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons – basil, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled, minced
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- As needed – butter, unsalted
- For cooking, as needed – olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. – parsley, fresh chopped
- ½ cup – dry white wine
- Baguette, fresh baked
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Drizzle of EVOO
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Parsley, fresh chopped
- Lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- Chili flakes, for extra spice
- Pasta: Bring medium pot of salted water to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cover. Do not add pasta yet.
- Vegetable Mix:In large shallow pot on high heat, add oil, pancetta, mushrooms, and onions. Season with salt and pepper and stir for 6-8 minutes.
- Add pasta to boiling water and begin to cook, stirring every 1 minute.
- Shrimp: While the vegetables and pasta are cooking, in medium sauté pan on high heat, add butter to pan with shrimp and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Sauté until shrimp are cooked, and then deglaze with white wine.
- Add sundried tomatoes, artichoke, thyme, and spinach to the vegetable pan and cook another 3-5 minutes. Season to taste.
- Strain pasta from water and put pasta in the vegetable pan. Add 2 cups of pasta cooking liquid to pan and allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes. Season to taste.
- Add contents of the shrimp pan to the vegetable and pasta pan.
- Add butter, basil, and season to taste.
- To plate, place pasta mixture in bowl and garnish as desired.
For a fresh take, try fresh pasta – it cooks in just 1-3 minutes. Here are some other ways to customize this recipe. Make it gluten-free with gluten-free pasta. Omit the butter and use only EVOO if you or your guests are watching calories. Not a fan of shrimp? Substitute your favorite protein or delight those vegetarians by omitting the shrimp and adding more vegetables.
From the kitchen of Chef Kyle Williams.