Juicy, char-grilled skirt steak and crispy asparagus are finished with a rustic Romesco sauce. This dish has all the makings of a sure-fire hit.
GRILLED SKIRT STEAK
INGREDIENTS FOR THE STEAK :
- 16 ounces skirt steak, trimmed and cleaned
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Dash of salt and pepper
INGREDIENTS FOR THE VEGETABLES :
- 2 bunches asparagus, trim and remove bottom one inch
- 4 cups red bliss potatoes, cut in half
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, as needed
INGREDIENTS FOR THE ROMESCO SAUCE :
- 2 cups red bell peppers, de-stemmed, core removed and sliced
- 1 cup tomatoes, cored and diced
- ½ cup red onions, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ whole lime, juiced
- 1 whole lime, zested
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- ½ cup #1 olive oil
- 1-2 cups #2 olive oil
- ¼-½ cup water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Light a charcoal grill and pre-heat for 30 minutes using charcoal and wood.
- While waiting for grill to heat, season steak with oil, salt, pepper and herbs, then set aside.
- POTATOES: Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil and par-cook potatoes. When half cooked, season potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper, then set aside.
- ASPARAGUS: Season with oil, salt, and pepper, then set aside.
- ROMESCO SAUCE: In a hot sauté pan, put #1 olive oil in pan with, peppers, tomatoes, onion and garlic. Sauté for 5-8 minutes. Vegetables will brown and soften.
- Pour hot oil mixture into a kitchen blender and allow to cool to room temperature before blending. Blend with caution, placing a towel over the lid.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except #2 oil and water.
- Turn on blender and begin to puree while slowly adding oil.
- If the puree seems too thick, add water to thin it.
- Once puree has a smooth and thick consistency, season to taste.
- GRILL: Place steak in the middle of the grill, then surround it with potatoes. Place asparagus on edges of the grill and cover with the lid. Cook asparagus until bright green and slightly tender, then remove. Flip steak and potatoes and cover.
- Remove potatoes from the grill when completely cooked and lightly charred.
- Take steak off grill, and let rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing. This will retain juices and moisture.
- PLATING:Place asparagus on bottom of plate, followed by potatoes, sliced steak and sauce.
- GARNISH:Place ingredients in a small bowl, mix lightly and garnish.
- Fresh cilantro or parsley sprigs
- Sliced grape tomatoes
- Baby arugula
- Olive oil
- Salt, to taste
Feeling spicy? Add hot chili peppers to the Romesco sauce for an extra kick. If you prefer a thicker sauce, you can add nuts and bread to it.
From the kitchen of Chef Kyle Williams.