Light, refreshing, and uber healthy, gazpacho is perfect for a warm summer day. This cold soup hails from 7th century Spain – and the riper the tomatoes, the better!
MAKES 2 servings
- 4 large vine-ripened tomatoes, cored, cubed and very ripe
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, seeded, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons jalapeno, seeded and cored
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place all ingredients except garnishes in a blender, then puree on high until smooth.
- Pour into serving bowls.
- Garnish and enjoy!
- Cherry tomatoes, sliced
- Cilantro leaves
- Avocado slices
- Lime wedges
For an added kick, add some extra diced jalapenos. Fresh jalapenos have oils that can burn your skin and eyes. When working with these peppers, you’ll want to wear rubber gloves or disposable plastic gloves.
From the kitchen of Chef Kyle Williams