Tuscan White Bean Soup
A hearty, one-pot soup packed with protein and flavor.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped
- 2 15.5 oz cans cannellini (white) beans
- ½ tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning (or try thyme or oregano)
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes (optional)
- 1 liter (4 cups) chicken broth (can substitute vegetable broth)
- 2 cups spinach or kale, stems removed and chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot then add the shallots and a pinch of salt letting cook on medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Be careful not to let the garlic burn.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook on medium high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the cannellini beans, herbs, chili flakes and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and let simmer 15 minutes.
- Optional step: Transfer 1/3 of the soup to a blender (or use a hand blender) and blend until smooth. Add back to the soup and mix together.
- Add the spinach or kale to the soup and stir until wilted.
Serve this soup with a salad or crusty bread.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City’s Blue Medicare Advantage includes both HMO and PPO plans with Medicare contracts. Enrollment in Blue Medicare Advantage depends on contract renewal.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. The HMO products are offered by Blue-Advantage Plus of Kansas City, Inc. and the PPO products are offered by Missouri Valley Life and Health Insurance Company, both independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, and wholly-owned subsidiaries of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City.