Making New Year’s Resolutions Stick
Will 2023 be the year you get in shape and get healthier? If you’re like most people, you’ve chosen the month of January to get started. You’ve celebrated (maybe too much) during the holidays. Now, you’re ready to reset and crush your “new you” goals.
Every year more than 50% of people make New Year’s resolutions. That’s a good thing. But unfortunately, virtually every study tells us that more than 80% of those resolutions will be abandoned by February.
Don’t want your resolutions to fail? Well, here are a few tips to help you stay on track.
- Set realistic, specific goals. “Lose weight” is not a specific goal. “Lose 10 pounds in 90 days” is.
- Use SMART goals. That stands for: Specific, Measurable, Action-oriented, Realistic, and Time-bound.
- Take small steps. Results take time. Start by planning workouts for the first week. Continue every week, increasing intensity to stay challenged but safe.
- Have fun! Do what you enjoy – skiing, riding a bike, playing tennis, or practicing yoga. If it’s fun, you’re more likely to stick with it.
- Have an accountability buddy. Share goals with friends and family so they can help keep you on track.
- Celebrate your success between milestones. Don’t wait until you reach your final goal. Enjoy the journey!
- Track your progress. Choose how you’ll evaluate results – by weight, body fat, or improvement in activities. Keep a daily food and exercise journal and track your progress weekly. You’ll be amazed at how inspiring small victories are.
Blue KC stands behind all your healthy resolutions. And we wish you a happy, healthy 2023!