Choose Healthy Habits to Prevent Heart Disease
February is American Heart Awareness Month, a time when all people can take a moment to focus on their cardiovascular health. Below you will find strategies for keeping your heart health at the forefront of your lifestyle.
- Develop healthy habits such as eating foods high in fiber and low in saturated fats, trans fat, and cholesterol to help prevent high cholesterol.
- Limiting salt in your diet can also lower your blood pressure.
- Limiting sugar in your diet can lower your blood sugar level to prevent or help control diabetes.
- Get regular physical activity – Physical activity can help you maintain a healthy weight and lower your blood pressure, blood cholesterol, and blood sugar levels.
- Don’t smoke – smoking greatly increases your risk for heart disease.
- Take medications as directed –