Getting the Most Out of Your Benefits
Most of Blue KC members who enroll in an ACA health plan do so because of its affordability. But affordability isn’t just about low premiums and deductibles. It’s about making your plan work hard so you get the most out of it.
Check out these tips to save money and get the most out of your health plan
1. Get potentially more savings when you report major life changes to the Marketplace
A mid-year, major life change may make you eligible for additional savings or another type of health coverage. Find out by updating your Marketplace application today with your new information. A few things to know:
- Major life changes include those to income, household size, or health coverage (for instance, you’ve been offered job-based coverage).
- Your Marketplace savings were based on your expected household income for this year — not on last year’s income – so it is in your best interest to report changes.
- Not updating may result in missed savings or owing money at tax time.
- Our Blue KC team can help you update your Marketplace application. Call 1-888-890-3539
2. Earn a $25 gift card for completing your $0 preventive care visit
Blue KC covers your annual preventive visit — and many other routine preventive services — at 100%. We’ll sweeten the deal with a $25 gift card to your choice of national retailers1. For members with a family plan, the reward applies to everyone, so a family of four could receive $100 in rewards.
Register now for your $25 gift card
- Go to BlueKC.com/ACARewards
- Complete your annual preventive visit by December 31, 2022 for the 2022 plan year and December 31, 2023, for the 2023 plan year.
- Earn a $25 gift card (Limit one gift card per policy year per member.)
3. Use every penny of your healthcare dollars on YOU with a Health Savings Account (HSA)
If you enroll in Blue KC’s Saver Bronze 6500 plan in 2023, you are eligible to open an HSA, where you can save money to use for healthcare expenses. Let’s break down how this works.
Save for Healthcare Expenses? Absolutely! An HSA lets you take all or a portion of the money you save in premiums and invest it for future healthcare expenses. It happens automatically from your bank account, so you can set it and forget it until you need the money.
What’s an HSA? It’s actually an investment account specifically for saving dollars to use for healthcare. What makes it great is that the dollars you invest are generally pre-tax dollars – they have not been taxed and will not be taxed when you use them for eligible expenses. You can also contribute to your HSA post-tax and get the same tax savings by claiming the deduction when filing your annual taxes.
What if I don’t have expenses this year? No worries! It’s your money, and whatever you don’t use this year will roll over to the next year, and the next. Read more about HSAs here.
4. Set up automatic bill payment for one less thing to worry about
- No one likes paying bills, but automatic bill payment makes it a little less painful because it gives you one less bill to manually deal with each month. Members can easily set it up through their member portal at MyBlueKC.com.
1 Choose from CVS, Home Depot, Target, Starbucks, DoorDash, or Whole Foods.
2 Your preventive visit can take up to 90 days to reflect on the Blue KC ACA Rewards portal.
3 Gift card will be delivered via email within 24 hours of redeeming your reward on the Blue KC ACA Rewards portal.
Get all your questions answered about Blue KC ACA health plans. A Customer Service representative will be happy to talk with you.