Getting Tested for COVID-19
After living with COVID-19 for over two years, many of us have become experts at getting tested for the virus. In any event, we thought a quick refresher would be helpful.
Remember, by testing for COVID-19, we can protect ourselves, our families, our friends, and our communities.
When should you get tested?
- If you begin having COVID-19 symptoms like a fever, sore throat, runny nose, or loss of taste or smell.
- You’ve been in close contact (within 6 feet for a total of 15 minutes or more) with someone with confirmed COVID-19.
- You’ve taken part in a high-risk activity such as travel, attending a large social or mass gathering, or been in a crowded indoor setting.
- You’ve been referred to get a test from a healthcare provider or state health department.
Find a public testing site
You’ll find testing sites across the Kansas City region. The key is to know which ones are in-network, so you don’t have to pay out of pocket for the test. Make the most of your Blue KC benefits by choosing to be tested at one of our in-network partners:
- Your local county health department
- LabCorp and Quest Diagnostic testing centers
- CVS and Walgreens pharmacies
- Pixel by LabCorp at-home testing kit
IMPORTANT: Testing sites not included above may require you to pay higher out of pocket fees and submit a claim for reimbursement.
Order Free At-Home COVID-19 Tests
Every home in the U.S. is eligible to order free at-home COVID-19 tests. These tests are available through the federal government and will be delivered to your home address by the USPS. These rapid antigen tests can be taken anywhere and give results within 30 minutes. They work whether or not you have COVID-19 symptoms, and whether or not you’re up to date on your COVID-19 vaccines. To order your free at-home test, go to COVIDtests.gov. This website is also a great source of testing information.
If you have questions about COVID-19 or testing, please contact your primary care provider.
Support for Members Testing Positive for COVID-19
If you test positive for COVID-19, our care management nurses are available to provide assistance, answer questions, and provide support and resources. Contact a Blue KC nurse at 816-395-2060 or by email at CARE_MANAGEMENT@BlueKC.com.
Please visit Blue KC’s COVID-19 testing page for additional COVID-19 information including vaccine resources, cost and coverage information and more.