COVID-19 Costs & Coverage
Blue KC is committed to making sure our members are safe and well protected. So, we’re waiving some cost sharing responsibilities during the COVID-19 pandemic. Cost sharing means that you typically pay some of your healthcare costs and Blue KC pays some your healthcare costs.
You have a variety of in-network options if you’re interested in receiving a COVID-19 test. The following locations work with your plan, meaning you won’t have to pay out of pocket to receive a test (please note that testing sites not included below may require you to pay higher out of pocket fees and submit a claim for reimbursement):
If you have questions about COVID-19 or testing, please contact your primary care provider.
Go to the Testing page for more information.
Unexpected Charges for COVID-19 Testing
If you received an unexpected bill for COVID-19 testing (for instance, you were charged for an office visit for the testing), please call the Customer Service number on your Blue KC member ID card and we can help.
Through March 31, 2022, Blue KC will waive all in-network member cost sharing for virtual (face-to-face), telephone, e-mail or text visits for medical services or behavioral health therapy (cost sharing still applies to physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy). Please note, effective January 1, 2022, this waiver does not apply to Health Savings Account (HSA) compatible health plans to the extent such coverage would disqualify the member from making a contribution to an HSA.
To access virtual visits and learn if your in-network provider offers virtual visits:
- Contact your provider to find out if they offer virtual visits.
- Virtual visits may include appointments via telephone, email or text.
- Includes virtual visits for medical services or behavioral health therapy.
- Cost sharing (deductibles, copayments and coinsurance) still applies to physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy.
Blue KC Virtual Care is another great option to navigate your personal health and safety during COVID-19:
- To ensure access to COVID-related care, this service will continue to be provided at no member cost-sharing for all members.
- You can access a video visit right from your smartphone, tablet or computer with a virtual care doctor who’s been trained to evaluate for COVID-19.
- From your smartphone, you can download the app on the Apple App Store and Google Play. Or you can go to BlueKCVirtualCare.com.
Please be prepared for longer wait times due to the popularity of virtual care.
Know your care options
Use the guide below to know where to go if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, from mild to severe, or for behavioral health support.
Inpatient hospital admissions
Blue KC has waived cost sharing and copayments for inpatient hospital admissions due to the diagnosis of COVID-19 for individuals fully insured by Blue KC.
- Some employers may have different contracts* with Blue KC which may affect your coverage levels. Please call the customer service number on the back of your Blue KC member ID card with questions.
- This policy will remain in place through December 31, 2021.
*Minimum Premium/Cost-Plus, and ASO
There are no costs for the COVID-19 vaccine for Blue KC members during the public health emergency.
- The cost of a COVID-19 vaccine is covered by the federal government.
- The cost for administering the vaccine cannot be billed to patients, and Blue KC members will not have to pay for administration of the vaccine during the public health emergency.
- COVID-19 vaccines and administration of the vaccine will be covered under the traditional Medicare program. Those in Medicare Advantage will be covered in 2020 and 2021.
Go to the Vaccine page for more information.