KNOW WHERE TO GO
Getting the right care, at the right place, at the right time is not only good for your health – it can save you time and money.
Emergency Room/Community Hospital
Immediate care for severe and life-threatening emergencies.
Important: For less severe injuries or illnesses, the ER can be expensive and wait times can average over 4 hours. The ER is for true emergencies – not for treating things like upper respiratory infections, UTI’s, headaches, back pain, toothache and sinus infections.
* Note: Smaller community/neighborhood hospitals are becoming more common, and they may advertise both “emergency” and “urgent” care. However, please note, emergency room rates are generally charged for any type of visit at these facilities.
Expected Wait Time
Typical hours 24/7/365
When to Go
- All life-threatening emergencies
- When you’re experiencing chest pain
- When you’ve experienced a head trauma
- When you’re having difficulty breathing
- For sudden numbness, weakness or speech difficulty
- For severe belly pain
- For uncontrolled bleeding
- If you’re having a mental crisis
Average cost assumes in-network services.
Learn About Your Care Options
Use the care guide below to learn more about your options when it comes to getting care.
Where to go for care
Need Help On Where to Go For Care?
Call Blue KC Customer Service at the number on your member ID card for assistance.